Friday, November 13, 2009

Sylvia Weinstock... she is amazing!

This week I attended the Annual Association of Bridal Consultants conference. This year it was held in Indianapolis, Indiana. It was 4 days of non-stop events, classes, and all around great fun. I caught up with so many talented consultants from around the world, many of whom I haven’t seen since last year.

Gosh there were so many good speakers/presenters this year it was hard to pick my favorite. However, the one that resonated with me the most had to be Sylvia Weinstock. If you don’t know her by name, take a look at the picture with me below. She is legendary for her cakes. Sylvia has been called the “Leonardo De Vinci of Cakes”, which is very fitting.


Recognize her now?

She spoke to us for about an hour about her career and showed us picture after picture of her cakes. Throughout her presentation all you heard throughout the room was ooooohhhh, ahhhhh, in amazement! Now for us in the industry that see cakes on a daily basis, that is really saying something.

The one thing Sylvia said that I truly deep down agree with is, “cutting of the cake, is the first thing the couple does together, and is the first thing they share with their guests, it’s special and not an after thought.” Wow, that is so true. When you think about it, many people just rush the cake cutting, and don’t always pay it its due. From now on, I will be sure to let our couple’s know what Sylvia told us and hopefully they will agree.

She also went on to explain that she is not the cheapest, but that she will not sacrifice quality, and that they only use the best of the best ingredients. I shook my head because that is how I feel about our company. Sylvia also does not mince words and is not afraid to say it like it is, which is a such a wonderful trait to have. It was such a pleasure to meet Sylvia, she is witty, funny, and so full of life.

In the next week or so, I will be posting more from the conference

No comments: